We put our growing list of home projects on hold and started full force on Reagan's room. This has by far been the most fun room to design in our house!! I am for sure no interior decorator, but picking out baby things is SO much fun! While it was still warm enough to have the windows open we wanted to get our painting done, so we went with green since at the time we didn't know what the baby was. From there we put in new carpet and found out he is a boy. I have a thing with little birds and owls lately, they are a little trendy I will admit, but so so cute and I just couldn't get enough of them so Reagan's room has become a woodland theme. We have little bears, owls, birds, chipmunks... it's getting very cute, and I figure this is something not too baby-ish so we can leave it up for a while as he grows.
Besides the fact that we are going to be parents I would say our biggest change has been my job. Just after Thanksgiving we made the final call that I could actually stay home with the baby. We have always wanted me to be able to stay home with our children, but for a while that seemed like a far off dream. It's a big jump to go from two incomes to one and we had a lot of things to work out. Thankfully I learnt a long time ago from a very wise friend that the best way to make a marriage work is to remember you're on the same team. Nate and I set our team work to work and made some major changes. The first thing we did was sign up for a Dave Ramsey class at church. If you have not heard of him I FULLY FULLY suggest you look him up.Dave Ramsey . There I did it for you. Nate and I have always said (just from watching other people) it's not how much money you make, it's what you do with your money that makes the difference. This class could not have proved our theory more. To sum it all up it's how to make your money work for you, every penny has a job and no penny is left un-named. With the help of the class, and the fact that we are pretty good savers to begin with, we paid off Nate's truck and my car, our credit card, and our hospital bill (though we will soon have a new one!). I will admit we cheated a little because our credit card and Nate's truck were paid off just before we started the class. We now have whittled our bills down to our home loan, and the things we need to live comfortably in our home. Cable, electricity, water.. those things. We have no debt at the moment. As I said we will have a hospital bill, but we are ready for it with a plan in hand! It was actually quite amazing to see that we have more money than we thought, we just didn't know how to use it. I would gladly share our CDs from the class, and anything we learned with anyone. It was very eye opening and I am so thankful for the chance to make this change. I will be a happier mommy being home with my baby and I can't think of a more important thing for Reagan than to get to enjoy his babyhood in his home. It was very hard to leave my job. I love being a preschool teacher and being with the kids every day. I have been working for the same school since 2004. I tearfully gave my notice after Thanksgiving and my last day of work was December 19th. It was easier for me (with my belly getting bigger and my poor back getting angrier!) to leave and give myself some time at home before Reagan comes. I will admit, now that the Holidays are over and Nate left for work this morning I felt pretty guilty not having to work myself, but I think once the baby is here I will have much much more to do at home. My new job now consists of doing everything I can around our house since Nate is working all day, and I am working part time for my father in law in the office. Right now it's very part time since it's hard to know how I will feel that day, but after the baby comes and we have a routine down I will be there two days week. The best part is, baby Reagan can come with me, so I can make a little money, keep things organized at the shop and be a full time mommy. I still ask God everyday how I got so blessed.
This blog was forever long, but I think I am caught up and ready to keep up! Now that I have time at home and I will have things to blog about as we go down the path of cloth diapers, nursing and just new baby fun I think I will have more to share!! There is a lot more to how we changed our life to allow me to stay home and I will expand as time goes on. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment