Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Count Your Blessings

Surviving Irene was not all that hard. It ended up not being the big deal the weather man made it out to be. Though I don't want to play it down too much because many of our wonderful friends in North Carolina did have to evacuate their homes and they did suffer from some damage.... we lost power from 10am-4pm on Sunday and from 10pm Sunday to 8pm Monday.. and though I will admit I whined the whole day yesterday because I could not do much around the house.... and the generator was not working right...we were just very blessed to have only lost power... so I am for sure counting my blessings today!

Nate and I decided if we were going to be stuck inside for a whole day we better get working on the kitchen. We both go back to school in two weeks and I start working five days a week again (I work four in the summer) so life is about to get busy and we know we wont make time to get it done. We have had our kitchen torn apart and ready for paint for weeks, but all the nice sunny weekends give us other fun things to do and we never want to spend that much time inside.... so we started our Hurricane Irene morning with this...


and then moved onto this...









When my mom would re wall paper a room she would write on the wall and put the date of when it was done. That way when you peel off the old paper you can see when you did it last! We have taken off the wall paper and painted every room in the house so we could no longer write on the walls... except in the kitchen. So we added our date.



We are using this plastic paintable wallpaper stuff so that we can just change the color if we want too, but the walls will look a little different from our dining room. Both the kitchen and the dining room are in the same space so we wanted to divide it up somehow... so the kitchen is wall papered and painted and the dining room is just paint on the walls, but it's all going to be the same color.
We got a little bored painting and took a drive around town. Most of the beaches were closed because of the waves and the wind, but we got some cool pictures... We ended our power-less day with homemade pizza on the grill and spending time drawing with chalk in the drive way with miss Abbie :) Thankfully around 8pm the CMP trucks showed up and got us back in the light!

1 comment:

Jacqueline Rose said...

I love your new purple walls Kassy!