Sunday, September 18, 2011

Apple Oatmeal Muffins, Chicken Alfredo, & The Birthday Boy

I'm clearly not very good at coming up with blog titles :)





Once our kitchen was at a stopping point (again!) cleaning, and mopped... I set to cooking in it! I LOVE to cook and one of the worst things about Nate and I being in school is that I only get to cook three nights a week right now! Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday. We also eat dinner together Friday night, but that is usually our night to go out...


Tonight we had chicken alfredo for dinner. I am not a huge fan of alfredo sauce, but Nate LOVES it so I try to make it once in a while. It's super easy and I totally cheat with a packet of alfredo sauce mix... I just add milk and butter.... I baked the chicken in the oven and put it all on top of whole wheat Shaw's brand pasta! How easy is that!? We had some garlic bread and salad as well!


I also baked some Apple Oatmeal Muffins. Nate and I are in a Sunday school class after our usual church service on Sunday and I'm going to bring a snack this upcoming Sunday to share. I thought apple muffins sounded great! Nate has been working hard at getting fit again... he's going back to the gym and running with me!! (which I LOVE!) and so I didn't want to make some heavy fatty muffin that would ruin his good eating habits... so I found this recipe online... they came out great! I'm going to bake another batch for church for sure!!!


2 cups apple, peeled and chopped

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup oats

2/3 cup packed brown sugar

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 cup fat-free milk

2 tbsp canola oil

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup plain fat-free yogurt

2 egg whites


combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl.


combine wet in another bowl. Add apples. mix... then add to dry ingredients.


Bake at 400 degrees for 20 min.


The are so yummy! I didn't have plain fat-free yogurt, but I did have vanilla and it worked out just fine... they are probably just a little sweeter. It also called for 1/2 tsp of salt but I always leave salt out. I hate salt in my baking. I topped them with a little sprinkle of Pampered Chefs Apple Sugar Topping. I can't wait for breakfast!!!


Lastly... Tuesday is a birthday in our house... some how three years have gone by and we have gone from this....
to this....





Happy 3rd Birthday Banjo!!!!

No comments: