Friday, January 18, 2013

Our Kitchen Table

You know what is one way to really count your blessings? Sit at your kitchen table and think back to other times when you have sat there.

This morning I was blessed enough to have two good friends over for muffins and coffee, one of the amazing joys I looked forward to when I thought about my life as a stay at home Mommy. Yes I am not exactly sure I count as a stay at home mom just yet because the baby is not here as of yet, but I hope to continue these moments with friends even when he is here. I think time with friends is very important and I don't take enough of it out of my life. As I was cleaning up from our little brunch when my friends went home I got thinking about where this table has been....

My uncle Bill bought us this table as a Christmas gift quite a few years ago. We needed something small since at the time we lived in North Carolina in an apartment. We also needed something portable since we knew we would be moving to Maine at some point. It's very simple and I would imagine it wasn't too expensive, but I love it! At first I thought it was silly in our house to have this little table, but now I don't think I could part with it.

Nate and I have had many long talks around this table about whether or not to stay in the Marine Corps, about having a family, and financial decisions. This table has held the food at surprise baby showers, family get togethers, and just times with friends. It held a giant Monster Pizza the day we packed our apartment and bid our Marine Corps life goodbye. It was one the last things to go into the moving truck. It is often a sunning spot for a very silly cat. We have sat here many times just Nate and I with our niece and had many silly talks as we saw life through the eyes of a toddler. We have laughed and cried at this little table. This table is where my Mom and Mother In Law sat when we told them a baby boy was coming. Nate and I made a deal when we were very first married that dinner time would be T.V off, and we would sit together at the table, pray for our meal and then talk about our day. We on occasion will enjoy a pizza in front of a movie on a weekend night, but 99% of our little family meals have been had right here. I am so looking forward to adding a baby to our meal time. To watching him grow as he sits at the table with us and hearing about his day.

It was just a random thought I had this morning, we say if our walls could talk.... well I say if my kitchen table could talk. It has seen so many trying and wonderful days in its life with us. I counted my blessings for sure.

No comments: