It's really cool how people and animals can remember things. God gave us such amazing minds! One of my biggest and best childhood memories is Fireman's Field Day. It's a huge parade in our town followed by a muster. A Fireman's Muster is where they run all kinds of relay races and see whose station does things the fastest. Things like, climbing a ladder, hooking up a dry hose and hooking up a wet hose. It's pretty cool. It used to be a HUGE deal when I was a kid... fire trucks from all over the place would come for the parade and win prizes (they still do win prizes) for oldest and newest truck, the truck that came the furthest... things like that. Yesterday's parade was actually pretty big, bigger than last year...but they are for sure not as big as when I was a kid.
I also LOVED this weekend because it was a free for all!! We would have friends from Southwest Harbor Maine (about 4 hours north) come down for the weekend and they would pitch tents in our yard! It looked like a camp ground out there!!! It was great because our parents would have a HUGE BBQ and our whole street would join in!! We would get to play outside for HOURS and go to bed really late, which as a kid is a big deal! I can remember playing flashlight tag through the whole neighborhood, the game would last for hours!! We could come in a night with tons of bug bits and really dirty feet and exhausted after a REALLY great day!!!
Every year there is a Fire Queen, because what would a parade be with out a Miss Someone? We have Miss Flame. It used to be a big beauty contest and someone would win and get to be the Fire Queen for the weekend. She would hand out the trophies and go to the Fireman's Ball at night. Now they just kind of pick someone (I was Miss Flame in 2004!) and she still hands out trophies but I would not call the dance after the Fireman's Dinner a "ball".... more like.... well... we will just call it a dance but you know what I'm saying. There is more to drink than there are pretty "ball gowns!"
Every year there is a Fire Queen, because what would a parade be with out a Miss Someone? We have Miss Flame. It used to be a big beauty contest and someone would win and get to be the Fire Queen for the weekend. She would hand out the trophies and go to the Fireman's Ball at night. Now they just kind of pick someone (I was Miss Flame in 2004!) and she still hands out trophies but I would not call the dance after the Fireman's Dinner a "ball".... more like.... well... we will just call it a dance but you know what I'm saying. There is more to drink than there are pretty "ball gowns!"
My Mom, Nate and I took Abbie and the doggies up to watch the parade. One of my oldest friends and one of the kids I would run around with all weekend, Diana joined and watched with us. It was a good parade! Abbie thought it was a bit loud!!
No comments:
Post a Comment