Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Our Deer Friend

We have this awesome crab apple tree in our yard. It's one of my favorite things about our house, it is beautiful in the spring with all it's apple blossoms and this time of year it is full of apples. Being crab apples we can't really eat them, I hear we could press them and process them for cider but its not really worth doing that. We just let them fall. As a kid we used to have a ton of deer that would come eat them every night. We would get sometimes ten deer under the tree and it was SO much fun to watch.

A few years ago they built a retirement home behind our house and the deer left. The first few years Nate and I lived here I always told him how much I miss them, and how I hate how built up this town is getting. About a month ago we started seeing this little deer out there! She will come, just her and eat the apples for an hour or so. As long we stay pretty quiet inside and our dogs don't notice her, she will just munch away. I've put a little deer food out there to keep her coming. Tonight as we were sitting down for dinner she wandered in, I have been dieing to get a picture of her but I'm always worried I would scare her away and I want her to keep coming!! Well tonight I got brave and got some pictures! She was really not worried by us, both Nate and I went right out on our back deck and watched her. She watched us and finished her snack and wandered away. It's just so nice to see her here, and I really hope she starts to bring some friends!!!


1 comment:

sue said...

I always loved seeing the deer at the tree. We don't even have them around the farm that much... but maybe a little deer food would bring them in...might have to try that... any who, she is beautiful... enjoy